Insurgency Wrestling Federation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rise Again

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Reaching Out"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blyss

Blyss

Wrestler Stats
IWF Record: 14-11-1
Alignment: In Between

"Reaching Out" Empty
PostSubject: "Reaching Out"   "Reaching Out" I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 am

”Reaching Out“

P R O L O G U E

It’s funny when you try so hard not to be the person you once were, you slowly but steadily become it. You force yourself to believe you’re going the other way when really you’re just facing the wrong direction. Over and over again you attempt to keep up the wall that separates you from that person you used to be but you’ve already opened that door despite the many times I told you not to and now no matter what you do, you have to face it all over again.

Take a look at this photograph, my dear Blyss. Where are you? Yes, you’re that little girl in your sister’s embrace, almost completely hidden. Or protected, as they loved to describe when relatives and friends asked. Oh how adorable. And what about this one? It’s just of you so it’s not difficult at all to find you but look at that grip on your arm. No, I’m not sure whose hand that is and it doesn’t matter. Even in a solo picture, someone else makes their presence, holding their claim over you.

You can’t fool anyone. You can’t stop the inevitability or perhaps what’s only just been dormant. It was who you were and to be honest, it is who you are right now and you’re stifling it. But no matter how much you try to keep it away, it will not die. Just like how I’ll always be a part of you as your true conscience and companion.

People have come and gone from your life. It is a cycle that will stay with you forever so why not walk alone? Why not cut yourself out from the picture first? Why not save the pain and heartache that comes after being abandoned?

You remember that first chill of abandonment, don’t you? On that one night when the blizzard started and you waited and waited and waited... Will that be the strategy for the Path to Valhalla match? Will you stay on the outside of war that will break out in that ring tonight as you wait for your moment to strike? Is it a sound tactic to take your time and observe those who pounce on this great opportunity for themselves? Are you still willing to give others a chance first before yourself to get the top prize when you want it as badly too? Isn’t it calling your name? Do you hear it?

Why don’t you take a step closer... closer... almost there... Hold those ropes for safety, Blyss. You don’t want to fall, do you? So many other competitors to throw over the edge and out of the ring... So many to choose from... We can do this.

Don’t you need me, my dear Blyss?

...Don’t you?

Sunday

Click!

A light is turned on, brightening up part of the room.

Click!

Darkness once again.

Click!

Light is back up and this time, Blyss is seen with the bulb in hand as she playfully swings it around. She raises an eyebrow at the camera with an amused expression on her face. Brushing her hair from her face, she narrows her eyes slightly and smiles.

Blyss Lockhart
What’s the lucky number, Denver? (chuckles) Last week I teamed up with Griffin Hawkins in the main event against Tiffani Michaels and Ethan Cage. A match I had hoped to settle the score with, well, everybody knows who. (sighs) But I didn’t, much to my disappointment. (shrugs) Shit happens. Like the day you came back to the Insurgency, Tiff. And of course the win you just gave our dear IWF champion. Aww he finally gets a win before Ragnarok. Cute. Anyways, Tiffani, looking on the bright side of things here, I’m getting myself another chance to beat you in a huge match later tonight.

She winks and chuckles, tilting her head slightly, as she leans forward.

Blyss Lockhart
The Path to Valhalla is the one leap I can and will take to advance in my career. The rules have changed this year, making it an over-the-top-rope elimination match. A classic battle royale where one determined individual after another enter to fight and survive until he or she becomes the last remaining participant and wins. Who doesn’t want this golden opportunity? (raises both eyebrows) Parker Wayde maybe? He walked out before the match two weeks ago where the winner would be given the last entrant spot for tonight. The same guy who returned to the Insurgency at Ascension as Steel Angel’s last minute replacement partner where they won the tag titles. The same guy who used to brag till he’s foaming at the mouth and our ears bleeding about having done all there is to accomplish in this company already. The same guy whose face I smacked so hard that he began to question his own abilities and tag team relationship with Steel. Guess I knocked out a chunk of that arrogance, huh, Parker? Not the first time. (smirks) Seriously though, something tells me he will still be in this match because lately I’ve heard that he’s got a little mentor group with Skyla Vaughn and Anthony Dawkins and it’s too important for them to pass up so big daddy Parker’s gotta be there to hold their hands in the ring. That’s why he just can’t be the last entrant. Now, don’t get me wrong. These two are perfect examples of the “anyone” I was talking about earlier who can grab this chance to prove themselves. I’m aware that Skyla has been quite impressive thus far despite the loss last week. Even Anthony isn’t doing too badly himself. So going into this match, they get a tiny bit higher chance than the rest of us individuals for having two guaranteed allies in that ring. But only if they’re in there at the same time of course. And speaking of not doing too badly, I hear Messiah is in this fight as well. You know... that guy who changed his name and gimmick a few times and yet nobody reeeeally knows who, or what, he is? Joining the Empire of Blood seems to be working out for ya, huh, Messiah? You’ve had a tough break here since your debut and I can understand why you were confused as to what kind of wrestler you wanted to be. You wanted to be feared, respected and most of all, acknowledged. But let me tell you what you are now, you’re disgusting. You abuse your manager who has done nothing but try to help you in your career. Your losses in the ring has nothing to do with her, Messiah. It’s all on you but of course you don’t care and recently after joining the Empire of Blood, you’ll continue to have other people help you and someone you can blame when things don’t go your way. Like the little trio I mentioned earlier, I’m thinking you, Frank Finelli and Storming Raven would enter this match and work together to make sure at least one of you will be the last one standing in the ring. But the thing is Tim Patrick and I are gonna make damn sure that not a single EoB member walks away tonight with a win. The IWF doesn’t need a group as egotistical, insane and unreasonably aggressive like that here. The EoB has to be eliminated, much like how if I’m in that ring at the same time as any of you, I will throw you over the top rope myself. Especially you, Frank, you fucking asshole. Do that to me again and I’ll break your stupid face!

[...fades out]

Tuesday

Blyss is returning home from an afternoon’s run of errands when she spots her sister Kenzie sitting on the floor by her apartment door. Panicking immediately, she nearly drops the grocery bags as she spins on her heels to walk the other way. However, Kenzie looks up from the magazine in her hands and calls out to her.

Kenzie Lockhart
Lissie!

Ignoring her, Blyss picks up her pace and practically sprints back out in the rain to where she has just parked her car. She curses under her breath when she almost trips and drops one of the bags.

Kenzie Lockhart
Lissie, stop! Please!

Blyss stops and squats down to pick up some of the contents that spilled out. Kenzie manages to snatch the bag just before Blyss can grab it.

Kenzie Lockhart
I’m not gonna give this back to you until you talk to me.

Blyss stands up slowly and looks back at her with a defiant glare. She holds out her hand, indicating that she gives it back. However, Kenzie just shakes her head.

Kenzie Lockhart
I mean it.

Frustrated, Blyss lunges forward and grabs the bag but Kenzie holds onto it firmly. A small tug-of-war battle ensues.

Kenzie Lockhart
Lissie, stop it! What is the matter with you?! I just want to talk, okay?

Kenzie lets go of the bag and Blyss stumbles backward a bit, quickly regaining her balance. The two sisters stare at each other in silence for a moment. The rain forces them to raise their voices at each other even though Kenzie really doesn’t want to and which Blyss is perfectly fine with.

Blyss Lockhart
About what this time, huh, Kenz? Maybe you’ve come up with something else you hate about Gordon? Because really I don’t care if you don’t like him.

Kenzie Lockhart
That’s not--

Blyss Lockhart
(cuts in) Or maybe you wanna take back your words about how I’m not the same broken helpless sister you used to have, huh, Kenz? Bet you saw my match with Thor, didn’t you? Is that it? You came here to tell me that you’re sorry you said all those hurtful things over the phone and how you never even bothered to get to know Gordon yet you had such awful opinions about him. I’ve told you a million times how this sport can be. People who don’t do it can’t ever understand and you’re one of them, Kenzie! You and Dad!

The words hit Kenzie like a tight slap to the face. She looks hurt and tries to pacify the situation.

Kenzie Lockhart
Liss, I didn’t mean to be harsh towards him. I was just looking out for you and after what I saw during the match between you two--

Blyss Lockhart
How is attacking my boyfriend looking out for me?! How is telling him about what happened during brunch that day looking out for me?! How is bringing up shit that I keep things to myself looking out for me?! Give me one good reason or I’ll fucking punch you in the face right now! I swear I’ll do it!

Blyss drops the grocery bags and curls her hands into fists by her sides as her vision zeroes in on her sister while everything else blurs out. She doesn’t even realize how heavy the rain has become and that she’s pretty much soaked to the skin already.

Kenzie Lockhart
(cautiously) Melyssa, listen to me. You cannot go down that road again, alright? I know you don’t want to so just relax... and breathe... Nobody wants to hurt you and you don’t wanna hurt anybody, okay? Just breathe.

But all Blyss knows right now is anger. So familiar yet its qualities are still strange to her. It often attacks when she least expects it. So hard to control...

Let it loose, my dear Blyss. It’s only natural.

Kenzie Lockhart
....don’t hate him...was just shocked...maybe we can try...do you still...does he know...if that is...

Blyss sees Kenzie’s lips moving but nothing registers.

The funny part is that you know she’s only trying to help. Oh that’s her, alright. Always trying to help her poor... sad... little sister. That’s Kenzie’s job, isn’t it? Practically since you were born, your parents told her to look out for you, clean up after you, watch over you... et cetera, et cetera... And when you get older, the story never changes. You’ll always be that helpless little sister to her. People may change but the perception of them can stubbornly remain on the brain. You’re different now, sure. However to her, you’re still the same.

Kenzie Lockhart
...can’t let you...promise me that...when he did...are you going...hope we can...

Blyss grimaces and forces herself to relax.

Kenzie Lockhart
...and now that you’re home this week, well at least for today, come by for dinner at Dad’s, okay?

For a moment, the plead in her sister’s voice stuns her. But then Blyss bends down to pick up the bags from the ground and turns around to walk away. Kenzie chases after her.

Kenzie Lockhart
Lissie, please don’t leave. Whatever it is that you’re going through right now, we’re here for you. Please don’t shut us out again.

Reaching her car, Blyss tosses the bags into the backseat and then gets into the driver’s seat, slamming the door shut. She starts the engine. Kenzie places her hands on the window with a desperate look on her face.

Kenzie Lockhart
Lissie, please! What’s wrong? If you wanna hate me, fine. But don’t walk away from Dad, Liss. Please!

There’s so many things Blyss wants to say but this time she chooses to say nothing. She looks up at her sister with a sad stare before driving off into the city streets of lone melancholy.

Good girl...

When I was younger, I only dreamed
That when I got older, you'd be proud of me
When I was younger, I promised you both
That when I was older, you'd be proud of me

Sunday

[fades in...]

Blyss has now calmed down as she continues addressing her opponents at the Path to Valhalla match, still looking directly at the camera. The expression on her face looks slightly amused.

Blyss Lockhart
Speaking of despicable acts, a certain someone has been running rampant around here. Stalking and attacking Gordon like a coward hiding behind a mask on his face. Alex has made a good call extending an invitation to him for this match and I believe we would finally get to see who this person really is. A few names have come to mind and whatever his motive is, it seems personal. (chuckles and shakes her head) I never would have guessed it. All along, it was you, huh, Brandon Macdonald. This entire time when you were the masked man and even attacked me in that ring last week, you were just pretending to be my friend. What a damn liar. And for what? To play superhero for IWF by supposedly saving the company from the new faces that’s now painting the company’s good image? You were forced out of the company, thanks to Griffin and that was humiliating, wasn’t it? So you decided to plot against the current top roster and challenge the new management as payback. Either you did this right off the bat or out of boredom and embarrassment while sitting at home and doing nothing, it doesn’t matter. You just wanted to save your face, your reputation. And that is being one of IWF’s Hall of Famers with an impressive career. You didn’t want the fans to remember you as the guy that got fired for reckless behavior with a female wrestler. It’s the things that you did for the company and the matches you’ve had before stepping up into management that clearly meant a lot to you, not as much as IWF itself. You didn’t even have your last official match scheduled before you were inducted into the Hall of Fame. But at New Year’s Evil after that, you did and I was there. And you lost. You weren’t able to win your final match and perhaps at that time you didn’t care. But now, you see that man who beat you that night become the new boss of IWF. And the person who was part of the same stable as him that wanted to finish you off after your embarrassing loss has gone on to become the first ever Rising Phoenix champion. And the other faces that you used to see trying to get to the top are now already there like Gordon and for some reason, you just can’t stand any of that. But Brandon, don’t kid yourself. The so-called “new age IWF” has already begun and is here to stay. You can stop change from happening and this change in the IWF is indeed the good kind. In fact, it’s also necessary. What? You’re gonna tell me now that Corey Casey being back in charge then was a great time for us all? Yeah, thought so. But anyways, you’re too little too late and that’s how it’s gonna be for you tonight. When you get thrown out of the ring over the ropes, you’re gonna realize that and hopefully for your sake, you will fall onto reality.

[...fades out]

Thursday

mtheafollowingyisbaedream?[/color]

Vanilla.

That faint smell of vanilla perfume is unmistakable. She rises from her bed and looks around the room. Weird... It looks like she’s back home. The fragrance in the air leads her to the outside in the living room and walking in from the front door is her mother.

She looks so beautiful. There is a soft glow about her and the smile on her face radiates the dim apartment. Blyss continues to stare at her as she walks closer, unsure of what to say first.

Blyss Lockhart
Mom...

She struggles for words but they seem jumbled up in her mind. The sweet fragrance fights back to help calm her down.

Blyss Lockhart
Why are you here?

Mom
To tell you how proud I am of you, Mellie.

Blyss immediately reaches out to her with both arms but lowers them as soon as a second figure appears right next to her mother. A stark contrast between the two as this one seems to be under a veil of shadow and speaks in a harsh tone.

Are you sure about that... Mother?

Blyss turns from the figure to her mother, her eyebrows furrowed together. She tries to take one step closer but she can’t move. Her mother smiles at her reassuringly.

Mom
Yes, I’m sure. My sweet child has done well in what she loves to do. What more can a mother ask for?

The figure scoffs and seemingly glides to Blyss, putting up the front that it’s two against one. Its words slither in the air around her.

How about real success? The grand prize at the top of the pyramid? Complete and utter dominance over every other person in what she loves to do?

Her mother subtly winks at her, the way she used to do when she wanted to secretly tell her that she’s on her side.

Mom
Well, that would be her call. Her choices to make, not yours. Is it not?

That’s what we’ve set out to do and this is just the beginning. We finally won the Queen of Wrestling championship but somebody keeps straying off course since then. She’s let so many distractions get to her. All her losses are a result of these unnecessary little things. Still proud of her, huh, Mother?

The figure glances at Blyss and laughs mockingly.

But don’t worry, I know what she needs. Or rather, what she doesn’t. Now every time she’s about to do something foolish like asking someone for help, I’m there to keep her in check. She’ll thank me later when she finally gets what she wants which is the best damn career anyone could ever wish for.

Mom
Keep her in check? You mean feeding her with so much negativity to keep her isolated from everyone? Soon enough, she’ll realize you’ve been lying to her this entire time. (turns to Blyss) You still remember what I told you, my sweet?

The figure snaps back.

Not ONCE have I lied to her! And those people stopped being ‘family’ the day YOU left us!

Blyss shrinks away, stepping behind the figure and clamping her mouth shut.

This... what she loves to do... is the only good thing in her life right now and nothing else! We have learned to survive without you, Mother, and we will continue to do so. Family... friends... They’re a part of that burden. Always have been! It is time to let go. All of it.

Instead of responding to that, her mother simply turns to her who is now trembling with fear. Her voice, comforting yet firm.

Mom
Do you really believe that?

Of course she does! I just told you. Don’t you ever fucking listen?!

Before Blyss can look down in shame, her mother appears right before her and gently holds up her chin.

Mom
Do you believe that, Melyssa?

Bursting into tears, Blyss shakes her head.

Mom
You can still fix this, my sweet. You’re not alone just yet.

She has me, Mother! Me!

Mom
You are ‘hate’ and that’s not my daughter.

Her mother turns to Blyss and smiles, reaching over to hug her.

Mom
Remember what I told you, Mel. Remember your promise.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Blyss wakes up suddenly, gasping for air. She presses a hand over her heart as she tries to calm down. The dream was so vivid and the tears on her face are real. Just before she buries her face in the head pillow, she catches a whiff of the same vanilla scent. She pauses for a moment as she looks around confused. Then she remembers why it’s so familiar... Her mother used to wear it. But... how...?

I hate her... We BOTH hate her. She left us, they all did! Don’t you forget that!

She reaches over and turns on the side table lamp but there’s no light. Of all the times, it has to be spoiled right now. Damn hotel. But as her eyes adjust to the dark, she is relieved to find there’s no one else around but her, as it should be.

It’s our turn now, Melyssa. It’s time that we are the ones who walk away first. Because that’s only fair... You agree, right?

She sits up in bed and hugs her knees. The scent returns in memory, causing fresh tears to roll down her cheeks.

When will morning come, she sobs. Please... let morning come...

Yes, nothing good comes from the past. Bury it forever. Bring on tomorrow.

But her heart is actually yearning for morning light to clear the darkness that’s still living inside of her. She doesn’t want to be that person she used to be. This circle has to end. She’s no longer slipping now.

Spinning. She’s tail spinning instead, faster and faster... And she’s terrified no one can ever catch up to her this time.

But isn’t that when you start to become stronger? ...Remember?

No, what she needs to remember is that promise. What was it? Dammit, what was it?!

........... ........... ...........

When I was younger, you shone the light
And now that I'm older, it doesn't shine bright
When I was younger, you always said
That as I got older, you'd always be there

Sunday

[fades in...]

Looking back at the camera, Blyss continues.

Blyss Lockhart
Two weeks ago, four people considered to be IWF’s current top competitors fought to win the last entrant spot in the Path to Valhalla match tonight. The first one eliminated from that match was Aries Armadaist and after that quick and embarrassing loss, I’m willing to bet he’ll show up tonight to redeem himself. If he gets over the whole tag team title situation, that is. (smirks) So you beat Steel Angel last week, yeah, go ahead and be real proud of yourself. Cheater. And speaking of Steel, man, you’ve got a lot of confidence saying how you’re gonna win it all and move on to the IWF championship. But just because you’ve been there before, it doesn’t mean that you would again. It’s been more than a year since you last held it and most of the people whom you’ve fought with to get there again have gone. And what have you done lately? You didn’t even get to be in the winner-gets-last-entrant-spot match. All you’ve done for the few months is struggle in the tag team division, your rivalry with Parker and trying to remind everyone that you’re an accomplished wrestler hoping to be world champion again. You kinda sound like Brandon. Will I be all whiny like that when I get to the same level in my career as you? I sure hope not. Like Brandon in his last match, you lost to a new IWF superstar last week. What does that prove about you?

She shrugs.

Blyss Lockhart
Another person who lost the chance to be the last entrant in the match is Corey Bull, the so-called “Hatebringer”. You’re going through something, aren’t you, Corey? I haven’t seen Calypso in a while and I heard that you were having some woman problems. It’s kinda funny but at the same time, I won’t deny I’m a little concerned. Because such an issue can bring the worst out of a man and it’s shown in your match last week with Skyla. But nonetheless I’m not afraid to meet you in that ring because you’re not the only one who hates their current win/loss situation. I’ve been on and off in that ring myself and I’m looking to have my victory here tonight. Sorry, not sorry. You may carry that hate in you and use it as a weapon in that ring but you won’t be the only one to bring it either. We all have that and tonight everything will be kicked into high gear and we’ll see who’s the real monster.

She looks away momentarily before back at the camera with a hint of a smile on her face.

Blyss Lockhart
Besides a victory for myself, I’m also looking to try and settle the score with Tiffani. You lost your chance to be the last entrant as well and I know you’ll definitely be in the Path to Valhalla match tonight. You’ve been said to be a world champion one day and this could give you that opportunity. See, I’ll be that road block to your journey to be world champion. A win over me last week didn’t guarantee you a shot at the world title now, did it? No. I’ll do whatever it takes to stop you, Tiffani. You can say all you want about me, say I’m obsessive, a bitch, someone who’ll never beat the “true Queen of IWF”... Blah blah fucking blah. I don’t care, Tiff. As much as I wanted to let go of the past, this is something I guess I can’t. And whether you want to admit it or not, you can’t let it go either. Because you’ve got these wins over me but the thing that you don’t have is my drive and that’s what’s taken me to where you are right now and you just hate that, don’t you? The nobody from Chicago who constantly loses to you and couldn’t seem to hack it is now doing well and will be in the same fight as you are for the Path to Valhalla win. We may not even cross paths tonight, who knows? But that unknown will bother you. You still hate me while I don’t anymore. I just... don’t dislike you as much. (chuckles) We’ll see, Tiffani, we’ll see.

She leans back against the wall, still smiling.

Blyss Lockhart
And then we have the final entrant of the match... Gordon Fury. Well, congratulations once again for winning that spot, sweetie. I know how much this match means to you and you know you have my support all the way through to the world championship. But know that me fighting for the same thing won’t mean any less from me. We’re both looking for that big step up in our careers which would open up more opportunities for us. It’s just something we have to do individually. You’re gonna give your all and so am I. You know that match we had to fight each other and you said that my weakness was you? You’re right. But this time, I don’t need another warning. I know what to expect now and maybe this time, you should be the one to be warned that I won’t stop for anything until the bell rings. My weakness is still you, Gordon but this time, we’re going in with our own purpose and goal, nothing to do with anyone else. A bigger prize will have me take a higher risk and that risk is to stop for nothing and no one.

[...fades out]

Friday

Until recently, she realizes she hasn’t been fully honest with other people about herself, things that no one else really knows or understands. Her father and sister may be the only ones who have a slight inkling as to what this is but that’s it. It is a part of her that she has never told anyone else due to fear. Not just because she’s worried she would be misunderstood for being crazy or too emotional but also because...

........... ........... ...........

She turns to the other side and sees Gordon lying on his back. They have both fallen asleep together cuddling. No one else has been this close to her, to understand this fear inside of her that she’s always tried to hide and keep buried forever, to make her feel safe being herself and to know exactly what to say when she needs it.

That dream is still fresh in her mind and she trembles slightly, trying to shake off the memory. Ever since his head trauma thing, she’s tried to look out for him in any way she can and then later when he reached out to her about his own fear before and after their match on BattleGrounds, she was determined to give in and fight for him, for them. Giving has always seems much easier than taking because taking means opening up that part of her she’s not ready for anyone else to know.

Blyss Lockhart reaches the room with a few bags in hand and knocks on the door. She’s supposed to be there much earlier but was caught up with something and got his message late. She knocks on the door again when there’s no answer and waits.

Blyss Lockhart
Gordon? It’s me. Open up. Hope you’re not back in bed already.

She chuckles then hears a groan from the other side of the door, the rustling of sheets and the thud of bare feet hitting the floor.  

Gordon Fury
Yeah coming.

She shakes her head with a smile as the door opens, and Gordon in standing there is nothing but his boxers, wiping sleep from his eyes.

Gordon Fury
Oh, hey babe, come on in.

Gordon walks back into the room and points to a small table before pulling a chair out from it and sitting down.

Gordon Fury
So what did you get?

Blyss follows after him and sets down the bags on the table, taking out the food. She hands him a box.

Blyss Lockhart
That’s grilled chicken and salad for ya, sweetie. Hope that’s okay?

She sits down on a chair next to him.

Blyss Lockhart
Did you just spend the WHOLE day in bed?

Gordon looks at the box as if it is going to explode before carefully opening it. He takes a look inside.

Gordon Fury
Grilled chicken and salad huh? You trying to tell me something, babe?

He grins.

Gordon Fury
And not the whole day. I took a piss at least twice.

Gordon grabs a fork and stabs a piece of chicken before eating it.

Gordon Fury
It’s no KFC but it’s not bad.

And for the earlier part of their relationship, she has managed to keep it her secret like it has always been. She recalls the painful last conversation with her father on Father’s Day. It doesn’t feel right, thinking about it. In fact, she’s a little guilty now but seeing Kenzie again a few days ago after that video call conversation they had when she was with him only brings back the old feelings of great frustration.

Blyss laughs and shakes her head slightly. Then her cell phone rings and she takes it out of her purse to check it. A video call from her sister Kenzie.

Blyss Lockhart
(mumbles) Oh no... Dammit, what could she possibly want now...

She turns to him.

Blyss Lockhart
Hey I’m just gonna take this for a bit. You enjoy your dinner.

She leaves the table and walks a distance away as she answers the call.

Blyss Lockhart
Hey Kenzie, why are you calling me?

Kenzie Lockhart
What? Now I can’t call my sister anymore? Look, Mel, I need to talk to you. And you’d better not hang up before you hear me out, okay? Please?

Blyss Lockhart
(sighs) Fine. What is it?

Kenzie Lockhart
I saw that match, the one you fought Gordon. (pauses) Your boyfriend.

Blyss Lockhart
What?

She starts to pace around the room.

Kenzie Lockhart
This entire time, you never told me? I thought we tell each other everything. And then what he did to you in that match? That’s just--

Blyss Lockhart
No, Kenzie, stop it!

She raises her voice just as she stands right behind Gordon who now looks up in slight confusion.

It is bad enough that the family drama continues but for Kenzie to involve other people angers her. Even back then, her sister always looked everywhere but in her for the reasons why she’s acting like this. It never seems to occur to her sister that the problem lies inside her, that rage she keeps since the day their family hasn’t been the same. And so naturally, Kenzie unfairly pushes the blame to Gordon.

Blyss Lockhart
Kenzie, what he did is just part of what we do in that ring, okay? I already told you I’m fine.

She glances at him and looks back at the screen.

Kenzie Lockhart
Are you with him right now? I wanna talk to him.

Blyss Lockhart
(frowns) What for?

Kenzie Lockhart
To talk to the guy who’s dating my sister and yet would do something so despicable like that to win a match!

Blyss Lockhart
You don’t know, Kenzie. You know absolutely nothing!

Kenzie Lockhart
Then I wanna hear what he has to say about all this.

Blyss hesitates but she sits back down on the chair next to Gordon and places her phone on the table.

Blyss Lockhart
I’m sorry, Gordon, but my crazy sister wants to talk to you.

She lowers her voice so only he can hear her.

Blyss Lockhart
You wanna know why I kept them from you, right? Well, this is why.

She then grabs a bottle of water and drinks from it, looking away. Gordon looks at the screen, still kind of out of it.

Gordon Fury
Hi there, Kenzie, right? Nice to meet you, I’m Gordon. Apparently you wanted to talk to me?

Kenzie Lockhart
(annoyed) Yeah hi. Mind explaining what you did to my sister a few weeks ago? All I knew before was that Corey, whatever his name was, booked you and Mel against each other just to spite you or something because you two used to be tag partners. But then after watching that show, apparently you two are together and then you tricked her just to get yourself a win? And now you’ve got her so confused that she’s mad at herself for letting it get to her when she could have beaten you instead. That was a selfish move on your part. I hope you know that!

Blyss just rolls her eyes, feeling pissed off. Gordon seems to have woken up since he bites back.

Gordon Fury
Hold the fucking flintstones phone there, lady. I don’t have to explain shit to you. And besides, Blyss isn’t mad or confused, she understands I did what I have to do. I wanted to get on with her family but I won’t be judged by someone who doesn’t even know me!

Kenzie Lockhart
Oh so it’s perfectly fine that you would do such a thing in the ring just for that victory and then go back to being her boyfriend like nothing horrible just happened? Are you serious? That doesn’t make any sense at all.

Blyss gets up and leaves for the bathroom, not wanting to hear anymore of it.

Kenzie Lockhart
You THINK that she’s not mad at you but I know she was. You weren’t here last Sunday, Gordon. She nearly broke down in the middle of family brunch talking about it. Knowing her, she’d keep all this bottled up inside. What you did to her did not help her. I just thought you should know that.

Gordon Fury
Don’t you think I know that?! Just because I did what I had to do doesn’t mean I didn’t feel like shit for it! I know I hurt Blyss and I actually tried to end it for her sake but she convinced me not to. No matter how she feels, I am here for her, Kenzie, and you just have to fucking deal with it.

Kenzie Lockhart
Deal with it? That’s MY sister we’re talking about here. You think I’m just gonna keep quiet after seeing you hurt her like that?! And oh how noble of you to try to end it for her sake. Funny how I used to have a good impression of the guy that helped my sister win her first title in IWF but as it turns out, I really don’t know much about what goes on there. Well I hope you’re a better boyfriend than you are a wrestler. What you did was purely selfish.

From the bathroom, Blyss yells out.

Blyss Lockhart
Just hang up the damn phone, Gordon! I told you, she’ll never understand what we do.

But he ignores her, deeply insulted by Kenzie’s words.

Gordon Fury
How fucking dare you! I did what I had to do in one match, and you know what? I don't fucking regret it. Blyss knows this, and she accepts it, because she accepts ME. You can think whatever you want about me but the only person hurting Blyss now is you.

Kenzie Lockhart
I’m looking out for her! That ONE match says so much about you and she accepts you after that?! Ha! That’s a joke, right?

She remembers rushing out of the bathroom to end the call right there and then. It had sounded all too familiar, people arguing over what she must be feeling or thinking about whatever. Why can’t anyone just take her word for it? Why can’t anyone listen to her and believe it?

She turns to Gordon with an apologetic look on her face.

Blyss Lockhart
Gordon, I’m so sorry about that. Now you know why I don’t talk much about my family. They just don’t understand.

She gestures to the food on the table.

Blyss Lockhart
Let’s just forget about it and see what movie’s playing on TV right now...

She reaches for the remote control and flips through the channels as Gordon just looks back at her with a frown, disappointed.

Because no matter how much she tries to hide that part of her, it seems to have risen to the surface either in her eyes or the look on her face. She didn’t mean to be so stubborn and for the umpteenth time, she wishes she could bare her soul and tell him everything. But talking to her family has always been like talking to a brick wall and she kind of wanted him to see it for himself. And talking about them like this always hurts. They’ll never understand. They didn’t then and now, it just looks like they won’t ever either. Even when she had sought after her father when she broke up with Michael and was feeling very anxious about her Homecoming match then at the same time, she still went to look for her mother and only after visiting her grave, she felt much better.

She has taken that risk to be with Gordon at first and despite the times she’s found herself fallen face first into the dirt, she fought for it and all the while she finally realized, he did too. And like any other relationship, there have been trying times but unlike her previous relationships, he has managed to break down that wall she has built around her since she was sixteen. She has always feared that if that day comes, it would leave her so vulnerable and weak that she might as well be dead. However, that day came when he forced her to tell him what she’s been hiding this entire time because he could sense that she was. She wasn’t ready to say it and had successfully dodged this question before when afterwards he would drop it but she knew that she probably never would actually be ready and because she loved and trusted him, she told him.

And her fear for when that day would come didn’t become true. In fact, she begins to feel something new about this part of her. Hope. And with it comes strength in herself to drive away the darkness in her, which in turn also makes their relationship stronger than ever. For the first time in a long time, she truly doesn’t feel alone. Someone else finally understands and who fought his way to it. She had reached out to him about her fears and especially that recent cryptic dream and immediately he took her back to feeling safe and secured.

Safe. She had always shared that special bond with her mother and to her, that was safe. That balance in her family hasn’t felt like it has been restored and she knows that it isn’t solely her father’s fault. No matter how many times she accused her father had “died” the night of her mother’s passing, she had also thought and accepted that a part of herself had died as well. Having already witnessed how the disease had withered her mother in only a few years as if time itself had aged her, she truly believes that life is fragile and short.

Perhaps this is why she treasures the now and rushes into moments as they happen before they’re gone. Perhaps this is why she dives into certain things headfirst without thinking. Perhaps this is why she’s misunderstood for being reckless in her actions. But ironically, all of this has made her become more controlling because she wants to be certain that these moments keep happening and this is a result of two opposite instincts clashing. Everyday is a struggle to suppress the darker impulse and it feels like she’s been failing more often than not causing her to react strongly and badly.

However that’s going to change now and she wants it to start today. She closes her eyes again and sleep comes easy.

When I was younger, I never thought
That when I was older I'd fight your wars
I'll do it for you, I'll do it for you

Sunday

[fades in...]

Blyss Lockhart
There are so many of us going into the Path to Valhalla tonight. So many dreams and ambitions. So many goals to be fulfilled. Different but the same. Every single one of us wants to make a name for ourselves, to get that recognition, for the prize at the end of the fight. I wanna meet the Jack Savage’s, Roland Drax’s, Werner Wehrmact’s and anyone else who’s anybody in this company looking to prove themselves as a worthy competitor and then look over them as they all lie outside the ring and have my hand raised as victor. The Rising Phoenix champion will only keep rising up the ladder to the top. I will guara-damn-tee that I will be more than just this.

She raises the title belt to the camera and then the scene cuts to black.

Sunday

It’s still a few hours before Ragnarok begins but already the arena is bustling with activity and filled with people getting ready for the pay-per-view. Going through the back door instead of the main entrance, Blyss, already dressed in her running gear since her arrival there, starts to sprint out of the building. Outside, she realizes she’s going too fast and slows down to a good running speed.

With her is Tim Patrick with whom she has just talked to about his engagement to girlfriend Cody and his future career plans, including retiring after tonight’s match. She’s very happy for him but towards the end of their conversation, the nerves have begun to kick back in big time. She appreciates the support she gets from him but the confidence that usually comes on game day isn’t here yet and she blames that strange dream she had earlier this week. It seems like she just can’t be at peace with herself and the pre-match jitters are here to remind her of that. Or punish her for it.

For a while, they run side by side in silence. She keeps stealing glances at him, thinking whether to say what’s been weighing on her mind or not. Five minutes later, she decides to just say it. It doesn’t hurt to have another opinion on it...

Blyss Lockhart
Hey Tim? I... uh... The other night, I had this weird dream and it’s starting to bug me again.

She bites her lower lip nervously. Tim tries to lighten the mood, seeing that she doesn't seem well.

Tim Patrick
Is it the dream where you can't find the toilet?

Blyss turns to him with a confused look on her face.

Blyss Lockhart
What?

A moment later, she chuckles.

Blyss Lockhart
No, not that. Something else...

There is hesitation in her voice as she clears her throat. Tim stops running, and leans against the wall with a look of concern on his face

Tim Patrick
Well, what's up?

Blyss joins him and sighs.

Blyss Lockhart
I, uh, don't really know what it means and I've been trying to find out but… Yeah nothing. I'm sorry to bring this up but have you ever… dreamt of your sister? Like years later after you know... and she says something to you but you don't really understand?

Tim stands there surprised, but nods his head.

Tim Patrick
Actually, yeah. Especially when I was a kid after she died. Often. I never remembered what she would say until the very end of the dream. One time she told me to check the back door. I woke up and didn't think anything of it, but couldn't go back to sleep. Finally it hit me just to get up and check. It turns out the door was standing wide open, somebody forgot to lock it. That experience sort of provides me comfort...knowing that there is life beyond this world and reality.

Tim laughs.

Tim Patrick
You know what? I haven't thought of that dream in forever. What happened in yours?

There's a soft smile on her face as she listens. But then the uneasiness returns.

Blyss Lockhart
It hasn't happened in a long time but a few nights ago, I dreamt that I was at home in my apartment and... and my mom came in through the door, telling me that she's proud of me. She looked so beautiful and peaceful and I wanted to hug her so badly. But I couldn't get any closer, I was stuck.

Her voice trembles slightly.

Blyss Lockhart
And... and that's when I realized that there's something else that's holding me back. But she went on to tell me that I'm doing okay and that she trusts that I'll do the right thing.

She frowns as she looks up at Tim.

Blyss Lockhart
You may have realized that I haven't exactly been doing okay for the past few weeks and I've been trying really hard to BE okay. What do you think it means that "I'll do the right thing"? How do I do that without knowing what it is?

Tim's expression is compassionate and reassuring.

Tim Patrick
Blyss, I think you've been doing the right thing here. You basically have come out of nowhere in the wrestling business and have become arguably the best woman wrestler in decades. Looking at you it's sort of hard to explain. You're not some giant-buff-amazon lady, and you can go toe-to-to with the biggest, strongest men in IWF and win. All of that is because of what's inside of you. Your drive and inner strength. It's because of your heart. You mother, wherever she is in the universe right now, is very proud of her daughter, just like I am of you and everybody else who knows you. Everything you've done you've had to fight for. You started to like Gordon and you had to fight to start and then save the relationship several times. You wanted to become a champion here and you've been champion here. On a weekly basis you do things that nobody else can do. And you've been doing the right thing the entire time.

Hearing this surprises her and without warning, tears just flow down her face. She buries her face in her hands as she leans against the wall next to him. She sits on the ground and wipes her tears, calming herself down. Tim puts his arm around her.

Blyss Lockhart
Thanks, Tim. That was... I needed that... I just...

A moment passes before she looks at him, still wiping her eyes.

Blyss Lockhart
It's funny how you mentioned Gordon. Did I tell you we almost broke up?

Tim shakes his head, rolling his eyes at first, then grinning.

Tim Patrick
Dude, what happened? 

Blyss Lockhart
After our match, I told him I needed some time which he understood but then he used that time to think about us and said he couldn't do it anymore because he wanted to protect me. But I said no, we could get through this. I had to convince him, practically beg him, to stay. I believed that was the right thing because I didn't wanna lose him and I think we're much stronger together now but then again, is it REALLY the right thing? I'm not really on good terms with my family and this isn't helping because recently my sister Kenzie made it very clear to him that she disapproves of what he did during our match and they even fought over the phone.

She sighs.

Blyss Lockhart
I don't care if my family approves of Gordon or not. I love him and that's what matters to me. But what my mom said to me in my dream sounds like I shouldn't be like this with Dad and Kenzie. So… I don't really know what to do about it. If I do what I think she's telling me to, I won't be happy because lately it's just been... different with them. God I'm such a mess.

Tim Patrick
Whatever cosmic message your mother was sending you, she wants what makes you happy. Wherever she is, she's moved past the reality of family drama and petty bullshit. What makes you happy is the right thing for you. Never let somebody who isn't you make choices for you. You're an adult. If your idiot boyfriend makes you happy, you stay with him and fight for him. God knows I would have slit his throat if I were you after he basically pretended to be dead in the ring just to score some cheap win over you. But again, you being the bigger person IS you doing the right thing. 

She looks at him, scowling.

Blyss Lockhart
Tim, it isn't like that... What's done is done. It happened in the ring and it stayed there. We're good now, alright? In fact, I think we’re happier and much closer since. Whatever. I'm not gonna get into that again.

Tim smiles.

Tim Patrick
Look, I know. I'm just saying that you've been doing the right thing. Who cares what your dad and sister think of Gordon? Do they know him like you do? No. They have no idea what he's like when he's with you in private. I know how happy he makes you. If their thoughts on him matter so much to you, just give them time. They'll see him just like you see him.  

She rests her head against his shoulder and sighs.

Blyss Lockhart
Yeah... I guess so. I should stop over-thinking things.

She chuckles.

Blyss Lockhart
It will be the death of me one day.

Suddenly, she sits up straight again with an excited look on her face.

Blyss Lockhart
I just remembered something. You said earlier about me being able to face all these bigger stronger guys in IWF because of my heart, right? My mom used to tell me something about finding that inner strength and that all I had to do was listen to my heart so that I can do the right thing. Which also means that I have been doing so this whole time. Which means I am doing okay...

The smile on her face widens.

Blyss Lockhart
Timothy Patrick, you sir are a genius!

She hugs him and laughs.

Blyss Lockhart
Seriously though, thank you. Thanks so much for this talk. I'm now definitely ready for the match tonight. No doubt about that. Time to rock at Ragnarok! (scrunches up her nose) Wait… That's a pretty bad line.

Tim hugs her back and grins ear to ear.

Tim Patrick
Sis, we're at a Viking themed wrestling show right now. Whoever dreamed this gimmick up must have been higher than me when I was 18. I forgot to bring my battle ax and spiked helmet! 

Tim laughs.

Tim Patrick
But seriously, Blyss. You're fine. Stop over-thinking things. You're at the top of your game and you're only going to get better. We all believe in you. 

Blyss Lockhart
Thanks and you know you've got my full support in your fight against Thor. I heard some say that if it weren't for Kyuubi, it would be him carrying the Rising Phoenix championship title instead of me. But hey whatever. I still took him down in the end and you'd better make sure he stays down. And I'll be watching backstage and will help you if Frank and Raven get any ideas like they did with my match.

Tim shrugs.

Tim Patrick
Forget those people, man. You're better than they are and I'm gonna kick Thor's teeth out tonight. 

Blyss chuckles at the thought of that as she checks her wristwatch before looking back up at him.

Blyss Lockhart
So... shall we finish this run and head back to the arena? I'll race ya!

She grins.

Tim Patrick
 Dude, what the fuck?!

Tim points in the other direction. Blyss turns to look at what he's pointing, raising her eyebrows.

Blyss Lockhart
Whaaa?

Then she hears him laughing as he takes off running. She turns back around.

Blyss Lockhart
Hey! That's not fair! (mutters) Goddammit Timmy.

She chuckles as she shakes her head and sprints after him.

When I was younger, I always thought
I could be someone if I tried enough
When I was younger, you never said
When I was older, I'd feel helpless

Sunday

Blyss wipes the face plate of the new Rising Phoenix championship and traces her fingers over her name engraved on it. Placing it on her lap, she rests her chin on her fists as she sits there silently with eyes closed. She shuts out all negative thoughts to prepare for the match and that’s when the light bulb she’s placed next to her rolls off the bench and breaks upon hitting the floor.

You’re ignoring me? Ignoring me?! This isn’t over, you hear me?! You’re going in that match ALONE and when you fail, just know that you did this to yourself!

Calmly, she gets off the bench and opens the door, letting light in.

YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF, BLYSS! YOU DID THIS!!!

She exits the room and closes the door.
-------------------------------------------------
OOC
Lyrics of “When We Were Younger” by You Me At Six
Back to top Go down

"Reaching Out"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insurgency Wrestling Federation :: Archives :: Archives :: Administrative :: Path to Valhalla Match-
Jump to: