Insurgency Wrestling Federation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rise Again

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Past, The Present, and The Future

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shadow Demon

The Past, The Present, and The Future Empty
PostSubject: The Past, The Present, and The Future   The Past, The Present, and The Future I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 5:54 am

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."

- Dr. Seuss.

From there, the rest of the road was smooth for Shadow and Rogue. After managing to escape from Corey’s clutches, they returned to New York and were both treated for their injuries at a hospital. Both made full recoveries and Shadow went on to face Corey at War Games 2 as part of a Four-way elimination match for the Undisputed title. He was able to defeat Corey and regain his title, though his title reign lasted only a little under a month when Corey won it back at King of the Throne. It would not be until Shadow retuned to wrestling at IWF when they would face off again, this time at Heroes Also Die in a Double Cage Horror match. Despite losing he managed to avoid Corey seizing control of IWF, giving his share to Jason Hawk. Shadow faced Johnny Styles, the Strike Back Kid at From The Ashes which re-ignited an old rivalry. He defeated SBK in what would turn out to be his last match, with long-standing injuries after a lifetime of wrestling wearing him down. Eventually, he decided that it was time to retire from wrestling.

-After IWF Fallout: September 26th, 2011-

Shadow Demon took a deep breath and looked at the door of the room he was standing outside. The sign on top of the door read “Part-Owner of Insurgency Wrestling Federation and Sex God: Chuck Matthews”. Shadow grinned and shook his head, before knocking on the door.

“Come in!”

Shadow opened the door and stepped inside Chuck’s lavish office. Almost every space on the room’s four walls was taken up by pictures of Chuck. The pictures seemed to fit into three categories: Chuck self-portrait, Chuck with world championship, and Chuck with hot women. “Classic Chuck,” Shadow thought.

Chuck Matthews
ESS DEE! Where’ve you been?! We needed you for Fallout you clown!

Shadow Demon
Uh, yeah, sorry Chucklensake ol’ buddy, I just didn’t want you lads to know about my, uh, injuries...

Chuck frowned.

Chuck Matthews
You got injuries? Why didn’t you just tell us? You can take time off, we just need some warning!

Shadow Demon
Yeah and I’m real soz I didn’t come speak to you guys but, ya see, it looks like I will have to take time off...

Chuck Matthew
Pfft, no problem, go back to Australia, get some roo into you and come back better than ever!

Shadow took a deep breath and then let it go. He looked at Chuck straight in the eye, wanting to show he was being completely honest.

Shadow Demon
Well turns out that this time off I’m taking, it’s gonna have to be sorta...permanent.

Chuck’s eyes widened.

Chuck Matthews
You’re retiring? Like, now?

Shadow Demon
I’m afraid so pal. Look, uh this isn’t easy. You know I love this business, but I’ve been doin this for about three years now and my style of fighting – it’s been wearing my body down over time. I probably should’ve let you  guys know earlier but like I said I love wrestling and I didn’t want to stop. But, uh, here we are.

Chuck Matthews
Wow...with you retiring me and Death Angel are gonna be the only NLWF originals left in this dump.

Shadow Demon
Heh heh, weird right? But anyway I’m not much for sappy speeches but uh, thanks for giving me a chance in this new promotion, and even letting me play general manager for a while. It’s been a pleasure Chuckles.

Chuck Matthews
No worries, I’m not much for that sappy shit either but it’s been great watching you compete and competing against you. You always tried your hardest in the ring so I can respect that. You got it in you for a Hall of Fame show? One last match possibly?

Shadow laughed and shook his head.

Shadow Demon
Sorry Chucky, I don’t think I could do that. Besides...I haven’t done enough in this promotion to warrant a Hall of Fame induction. I’ll say goodbye to all of the guys, but I’m ok without one.

Chuck nodded and extended his hand.

Chuck Matthews
All the best Shadow. Maybe I’ll see you in the future.

Shadow took it and shook it firmly.

Shadow Demon
Maybe. All the best to you too bud.

And, just like that, Shadow’s career not only as a member of the IWF roster but as a wrestler in general was over. He retired back to Australia with Rogue and used his wild imagination to make it as a best-selling author. Shadow and Rogue started a family with the arrival of their first child – a baby girl named Emma. Emma’s birth signalled the true beginning of Shadow’s adult life, and as a result he dropped the face-paint and the exuberant clown character in order to focus on raising his daughter right. It paid off for him, as Emma grew up to be a beautiful and well-mannered girl – though still possessing some of her mother’s fiery personality. Shadow still kept in touch with some friends from NLWF/IWF but his biggest connection was one he made with an old pal. One who hadn’t been near the ring in years...

Shadow Demon
Good beer huh?

The Notorious KID
No kidding. Bet you missed it.

Shadow Demon
What can I say, it’s good to be back!

Both men grinned and touched the tops of their beers together before taking another swig. They were sitting on fold-out chairs outside Shadow’s house in the Adelaide Hills. It was late afternoon and the sun was making it’s slow exit, soon to be replaced by the pale moon. The interweaving neighbourhoods stretched out as far as the eye could see, the car horns and quiet chatter of the pedestrians making for a quiet background noise. Shadow had re-connected with KID during Rogue’s pregnancy. He initially hadn’t been sure about how to reach out to his old friend, having not seen him for so long. But working up the courage to make the phone call ended up being one of the best decisions that Shadow had ever made. He hit it off with KID right away and were now back to being great friends.

The Notorious KID
So you’re a big shot author now huh?

Shadow Demon
Yeah I mean we had a lot of, uh, money left over for my career but when Emzy was on the horizon we decided just to be safe I should try and get a job.

The Notorious KID
Why an author then?

Shadow Demon
Well I think the storylines I was involved in during my time as a wrestler kinda gave me some, you know, inspiration. I started off with a biography of my career and then moved into writing fiction stories.

The Notorious KID
Man that’s cool. I’ll have to read your biography. “And then I beat KID...and the next time we fought I beat him...and again...and again.”

Both men laughed.

Shadow Demon
Pfft, come on...it’s not written exactly like that...It provides a much more detailed account of me kicking your ass!

The Notorious KID
Yeah, yeah, ok Mr. “I only try when my title’s on the line.”

Shadow Demon
You got me! Seriously though, I’m pretty sure we were the worst tag team in the history of tag teams.

The Notorious KID
Yeah...we got handed the tag titles and immediately lost them to The Injection. We could never win a TLC match either...

Shadow Demon
Well, I uh, you know, did end up winning one in IWF...

The Notorious KID
You lucky bastard.

Shadow grinned and took a sip of his beer.

Shadow Demon
So what have you been doing with yourself since NLWF?

The Notorious KID
Trying to forget about it.

Shadow laughed.

Shadow Demon
Fair enough.

The Notorious KID
For a while I didn’t know what to do. I just totally wiped wrestling out of my life, I mean I didn’t even know IWF existed until you told me you’d retired from it.

Shadow Demon
Ya jokin!

The Notorious KID
Nah dude, for real. Any time I saw anything wrestling-related all I could think about was...

Shadow Demon
Him.

Shadow’s eyes met with KID’s, who nodded. For a while neither spoke, a hushed silence falling on the friendly banter as they remembered that man who had run NLWF into the ground.

The Notorious KID
After losing to him in that ladder match I just had to get out of there. I just couldn’t take his crap any more.

Shadow Demon
Hey, hey, don’t worry pal, in the end none of us were a fan of that ETA. Besides you beat him on the biggest stage of ‘em all, War Games 2!

The Notorious KID
You know he was injured.

Shadow Demon
Injured sminjured, who gives a rats. You beat him to retain the title, and I won my Undisputed title back. NLWF was a load of crap but that main thing is – we got our moment. And that’s all that matters.

The Notorious KID
I guess you’re right man.

Shadow leant back, let out a loud “HAH!” and slapped KID on the back.

Shadow Demon
I know I’m right buddy.

The Notorious KID
Ouch!

Shadow Demon
Soz Razz

The Notorious KID
But anyway, I haven’t really been doing anything truth be told. I got some desk job in the city, Stacey does hairdressing, we live in a two-person apartment, yadda yadda...

KID motioned in the air with his hand as he trailed off. Shadow was slightly taken aback by this. On the phone KID had sounded upbeat and happy but, as they’d been talking it became more apparent that he wasn’t the same as he used to be. The KID he’d known had been one of the most happy go-lucky people he’d met in his life, even if it was because he was high 90% of the time.

Shadow Demon
You still smoke weed every day?

The Notorious KID
Nah, landlord doesn’t appreciate it. And we have to keep this apartment, we’re only just scraping by. I doubt we’ll be able to afford another one.

Shadow took a moment and thought about what KID had just said to him. He didn’t like the way his friend was going...he seemed unmotivated. He said they needed to keep the apartment but something in his voice told Shadow he didn’t really care if they did. Suddenly it clicked. KID had been ignoring what had always been his main passion in life – wrestling. He’d kept it buried because he was ashamed of the way it had ended. Where Shadow had bowed out honourably in a final match against a rival, KID had been annihilated by Cyrus in a one-sided affair. But it didn’t have to be this way. He had an idea which thought would be perfect for the both of them.

Shadow Demon
Hey, you remember when you, uh, used to help run that independent fed here back in the NLWF days?

KID looked confused by this change in conversation.

The Notorious KID
Yeah what about it?

Shadow’s lips moved into a big, characteristically clown-like grin.

Shadow Demon
Think about it KID. We could do that again. But this time no Cyrus breathing down your neck making sure you do everything right. Just you and I, pooling all our, you know, experience together to create a spring-board for these noob wrestlers who don’t know what they’re doin!

The Notorious KID
Uhh, I don’t know dude...I haven’t been anywhere near a ring in years.

Shadow Demon
Pshh! You were a legend in NLWF, you held your uh, world heavyweight title longer than I held my Undisputed title. You got a wealth of experience KID, I think you’d be denying a lot of rookies some invaluable, uh, experience.

The Notorious KID
Well I guess it’d be good to get back in the ring without having to worry about getting injured or anything...

Shadow Demon
That’s the spirit bud! Listen, I’ll get the idea down on paper tonight and then message you my ideas, we can work out the, you know, details from there. But I definitely think we can make this happen.

The Notorious KID
Shadow if we do this I won’t be able to chip in that much money. I’ll put in what I can but-

Shadow Demon
Hey, hey, don’t worry about money. I’ll have that covered. Believe me, this fed is gonna make us a whole lotta cash, I promise ya!

The Notorious KID
Well...fuck it, I’m in!

Shadow Demon
FUCK YEAH!

The Notorious KID
FUCK YEAH!

Both men laughed, and finished off their beers. Suddenly Rogue’s voice came from the direction of the house.

Rogue
Hey guys, dinner’s ready!

Shadow and KID stood up and walked inside. As soon as they entered the lounge, Emma bounded over to them.

Emma
Hi daddy!

Shadow Demon
Why hello there my little princess, do you know who this is?

Shadow pointed to KID. Emma shook her head from side-to-side in response.

Shadow Demon
Well he’s one of daddy’s bestest friends, you can,  call him, uh KID.

Emma
Hi KID!

Emma beamed at KID as she waved.

The Notorious KID
Nice to meet you Emma!

Rogue
Ok you lot, time for tea.

KID, Shadow, Rogue and Emma sat down to have dinner. Over dinner, Shadow mentioned his and KID’s intentions to build a new independent fed in Adelaide, of which Rogue approved and agreed to help out with anyway she could. Soon Australian Championship Wrestling (ACW for short) was up and running, with Shadow and KID using their combined experience in NLWF and (in Shadow’s case) IWF to train budding young Australian wrestlers.  KID’s attitude towards the state of his life improved drastically a little over a month into running the fed. He became much more enthusiastic and jumped at any opportunity to get in the ring. ACW eventually became one of the biggest independent feds in South Australia, with its events attracting large numbers of wrestling fans. Shadow and KID often did signings and sold merchandise to help finance the joint. And not only did their federation grow in stature but so did their friendship. Having once been estranged from one another, they soon became just as close as they had been when they wrestled in NLWF.

As running the fed became more routine, Shadow often day dreamed of his little daughter growing up to become a wrestler. Though he knew the odds weren’t good, he dared to dream because Rogue wasn’t keen on having another kid for at least a few years, if she ever wanted to have another one at all. Not that he could blame her; not even competing inside the Triple Cage at Dangerous by Design could have prepared him for the bloodbath that was the “miracle of birth”. He didn’t like to admit it but he was so into the idea of Emma becoming a wrestler that he’d created a list of suitable gimmicks for her in one of his notepads. He kept this hidden from his wife, in fear of being scolded for pigeonholing their daughter. He couldn’t help it though, Emma was the future, and he was the past. Not that he was going anywhere any time soon, but his time in the business in terms of actual wrestling? It was sad to admit, but it was over.

One night, when Shadow was mulling these thoughts over, he was putting Emma to bed. She’d exhausted herself after a long day of playing with the neighbour’s kids (their parents had brought them over for a play date, and to get to know their neighbours better) and was ready for bed. He’d actually had to pick up off the floor and take her to her room. As Shadow laid her down into the cot, he paused for a second, looking at the face of his daughter, listening to her quiet breaths as she began to drift off to sleep. He smiled to himself, then leant down and kissed her softly on the forehead.

Shadow Demon
Goodnight, princess.

Emma yawned, and then quietly responded before closing her eyes.

Emma
Goodnight, daddy.

Shadow smiled as his daughter drifted off to sleep. Then he walked out of her room, softly closing the door behind him, and headed over to the room he shared with Rogue. Rogue was already in bed reading, so he quickly stripped down to his boxers and hopped under the covers.

Rogue
How is she?

Shadow Demon
Sleeping, you know, soundly.

Rogue
Aw, thanks for putting her to bed babe.

Shadow Demon
No worries snochums!

Shadow let out a loud yawn, and Rogue followed suit seconds later. It was a Sunday night, and they both had to get up early to go to work, not to mention taking Emma to kindergarten.

Rogue
I feel like we’re getting old.

Shadow Demon
Well it’s scientifically proven that the, uh, wrestling business makes ya age twice as fast!

Rogue
Feels like only yesterday I got the shit kicked outta me by KID for your lazy ass.

Shadow Demon
Hey I needed a world title orright!

Rogue laughed and then softened.

Rogue
Babe, I feel like I’m about to say something really corny and I may slightly hate myself for saying it.

Shadow Demon
Ay ay, it’s ok. I can handle this. I am ready. I am PRIMED!

Rogue giggled and shook her head.

Rogue
Ok, ok, here goes...I just wanted to say that I’m proud of you for being able to give up wrestling the way you did. You knew your body couldn’t take any more punishment and you bowed out at the right time. And since that time, even with ACW and everything, you haven’t once told me that you wanted to go back. Because I think that we can both agree that going back wouldn’t be the best...I love you Shadow, and I don’t want you to try and go back and get hurt and...

Rogue trailed off, as if not knowing what to say yet. Shadow laughed and wrapped his arms around her, kissing her forehead.

Shadow Demon
Aww Roguey, you know I’d never go back. I mean, uh, don’t get me wrong, I do love a good wrestle but you know I’m basically an old fart now!

Shadow laughed manically, and he could hear Rogue start to giggle as well.

Rogue
You’re such a loser. But that’s why I love you.

Shadow Demon
I love ya too, pumpkin.

Rogue lifted her head and looked into Shadow’s eyes, and then kissed him on the lips.

Shadow Demon
And you know, I’d uh, never do anything to harm myself, especially not now that I’ve got a daughter to take care of.

Rogue
I know you wouldn’t.

For a while they just sat there, Rogue wrapped up in Shadow’s embrace. Gradually their eyelids began to droop, and fell into a deep sleep.

It was during this sleep that Shadow had a strange, but oddly compelling dream. He was standing in total darkness, but there appeared to be no physical barriers to him. The darkness seemed endless. He walked forward three paces, before knocking into what felt like a wall.

Shadow Demon
Owwie!

He felt the invisible wall with his hands. He tried to push it forwards to no avail.

Shadow Demon
Huh.

He tried running sideways, and was not halted by and kind of invisible wall – but as soon as he tried to go forwards he was blocked.

Shadow Demon
Well this stinks.

Suddenly, the invisible wall came to life. It was like one big, long, never-ending movie screen.

Shadow Demon
Hey, where’s my seat and some popcorn?!

At that very moment a seat appeared behind Shadow Demon, and some unknown force threw him back into it. At the same time a large box of popcorn seemingly fell from the sky and landed between Shadow’s legs, some of it spilling over onto the floor.

Shadow Demon
Woo! Now we’re talkin!

Shadow took a big handful of popcorn and stuffed it into his mouth. He turned his attention to the big screen in front of him and lurched back in shock as he saw...himself, a long time ago, making an entrance.

Shadow Demon
Woah woah woah wait a second...is this Direct Hit? Holy crap that’s me and-and-and HAVOC! ITS MY DEBUT!

Shadow looked on as he and Havoc climbed into the ring, facing off against the New Design – Cyber Punk and Johnny Stylez.

Shadow Demon
Oh geeze look at how, uh, nervous I am. I’m so green. Ugh stop this, I can’t bare to watch! Can we just get to the part where I beat Stylez one-on-one?!

The video on the screen instantly fast-forwards through the match, and resumes at the climax of the stretcher match between Shadow and Stylez.

Shadow Demon
AHA!! Now this is more like it!

Shadow grins as he watches himself steal the victory over Stylez.

Shadow Demon
Woohoo!

For the next hour, Shadow watched on keenly as the video moved through the highs and lows of his career. It went from his choke losses against Havoc and Brenton Cyrus, to his crowning moment at Se7en Sins when he captured the Undisputed Championship over KID. His title defences against KID, Aaron O’Shea, Cyrus and seven others inside the Triple Cage. Finally losing his title to Steven Angel and being taken hostage by Salvation. His return at Battle Lines and then taking his revenge on Corey by defeating him, O’Shea and JHawk at War Games 2. It moved to the end of WG2, showing him and Nick Ridicule hoisting KID on their shoulders. Each of them was holding their respective title aloft while being showered with confetti. As he watched this with a big grin on his face, he heard his own voice echoing in the darkness.

“We got our moment. And that’s all that matters.”

With that, the video on the screen shut off, and he was left in the darkness alone. Smiling to himself as he thought about those words, Shadow brushed the crumbs off of his pants and stood up. He looked around, wondering just how he was going to get out of this place. As if to answer his question, a loud screeching sound echoed from behind him. Shadow whipped around and immediately covered his eyes as light was streaming into the room. As his vision adjusted, he noticed that a door had been opened, and the light was coming through the doorway. He rubbed his eyes and realised that someone was holding the door opened. It was his daughter.

Emma
Come on daddy, you can’t stay here forever!

Shadow chuckled and looked back one last time at the video screen.

Shadow Demon
Yeah...I know.

Emma
We gotta go!

Shadow Demon
Alrighty, come ‘ere squirt.

Shadow walked over to Emma. Emma stuck out her hand, and Shadow took it in his.

Shadow Demon
Ready?

Emma
Yeah!

And with that, they walked out of the room and into the light. As they walked further and further away their footsteps grew more and more distant. Slowly but surely Shadow and Emma disappeared into the light, leaving only faint shadows – until they too, faded into the brilliant white light.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1